TEHRAN, March 20 (Xinhua) -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani on Friday urged the American people to press the U.S. government to lift sanctions against Iran as the country is fighting against COVID-19, according to Iran's presidential website.
"U.S. sanctions have targeted major sectors of Iran's financial and economic system, which has inflicted hundreds of dollars of loss to Iran's economy and people," Rouhani said.
"U.S. government sanctions have made many ordinary Iranians lose their health, jobs and income. Besides, the U.S. sanctions have drained Iran's power in the fight against the novel coronavirus," said Rouhani.
He stressed that it is the time for the American people to urge their government to remove sanctions against Iran.
On Friday, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said that the U.S. "inhuman" sanctions are "killing Iranian citizens" amid the novel coronavirus outbreak in the country.
Iran's Ministry of Health and Medical Education said on Friday that a total of 19,644 people have been infected with the novel coronavirus, of whom 1,433 have died.
- 国际英语新闻:40 African countries confirm 1,114 COVID-19 cases as death toll rises to 28: Africa CDC
- 国际英语新闻:Major UK supermarkets to recruit tens of thousands workers amid COVID-19 pandemic
- 国际英语新闻:France reports 112 more coronavirus deaths, up to 562
- 国际英语新闻:New York state becomes COVID-19 epicenter in U.S. with over 10,000 cases
- 国际英语新闻:Global confirmed COVID-19 cases top 300,000: Johns Hopkins University