No one wants to look silly or do the wrong thing at a new job. It is important to make the right impression- not the wrong one - from the very first day. You will face new people. You will be in a new place. It may be difficult to know what to do. Here are seven tips to help you make it through the first days at a new job:
1. First impressions can last forever. Make sure you make a good one. Before your first day, find out if your new job has a dress code (rules about what you can wear to work). If so, be sure to follow it. No matter what, always be neat and clean.
2. Get to work on time. Employers value employees who come to work right on time. Give yourself an extra 15 minutes to make sure you arrive on time.
3. Pay attention to introductions. One of the first things that your supervisor may do is to introduce you to co-workers. These co-workers will be important to you. They are the ones who will answer your questions when the boss is not around.
4. Ask plenty of questions. Make sure that your supervisor has told you what is expected of you. If he or she has not told you your job duties, ask for a list. Set daily and weekly goals for yourself.
5. Do not take too long for lunch. What is the lunch-hour policy at your new job? You can find out from your supervisor or your company's personnel department. For example, do people eat at their desks or does everyone take a full hour outside the workplace？
6. Do not make personal phone calls. You should never make personal phone calls to your friends and family unless it is an emergency.
7. Never be the first one to leave. Observe how your co-workers behave around quitting time. It does no look good for you to be eager to leave.