MOSCOW, May 14 (Xinhua) -- Russia has confirmed 9,974 new COVID-19 cases in the past 24 hours, raising its total number of infections to 252,245, its coronavirus response center said in a statement Thursday.
The single-day increase has fallen below 10,000 for the first time over the past 12 days, the center's data showed.
The death toll climbed by 93 to 2,305, while 53,530 people have now recovered, including 5,527 over the last 24 hours, the statement said.
Moscow, the country's worst-hit region, confirmed 4,712 new cases in the past 24 hours, taking its total to 130,716.
Russia's consumer rights and human well-being watchdog said in a statement Thursday that 259,198 people were under medical observation as of Wednesday.
More than 6.1 million lab tests for COVID-19 have been conducted across the country so far, it added.
The number of officially registered unemployed people in Russia reached 1.4 million, twice as many as in early April, President Vladimir Putin said earlier this week.
National paid leave, which lasted for six weeks to contain the spread of the pandemic, ended Tuesday for the whole country and all sectors of the economy.
Russian airlines will receive 23.4 billion rubles (317 million U.S. dollars) in compensation for losses amid the pandemic, the government announced Wednesday.
The Russian government is also considering paying more than 1.6 billion rubles as an incentive to medical workers involved in fighting COVID-19.
- 国际英语新闻:Commentary: Shifting blame cannot hide U.S. failure in response to COVID-19
- 国际英语新闻:U.S. Fed chief says economic recovery could stretch through end of 2021
- 国际英语新闻:Italy's schools remain closed even as economy starts to emerge from virus lockdown
- 国际英语新闻:It's important for UK, China to cooperate closely to fight COVID-19 pandemic: senior UK off
- 国际英语新闻:India to enter COVID-19 lockdown 4.0 with relaxations