ASHGABAT, Sept. 11 (Xinhua) -- South Korea snatched a 2-0 victory in Turkmenistan in their opening 2022 World Cup qualifying match on Tuesday.
The away side took the lead in the 17th minute when midfielder Na Sang-ho scored his first international goal after Jung Woo-young's cross was deflected into his path.
Turkmenistan came close to equalizing in the 27th minute, but Wahyt Orazsahedow's effort was well saved by goalkeeper Kim Seung-gyu.
South Korea thought they had doubled their lead in the 38th minute, but Kim Jin-su's goal was chalked off for handball.
Orazsahedow had a chance to put Turkmenistan level just before half-time, but the forward was unable to convert from the edge of the box.
Urged on by the home crowd, Turkmenistan started the second half brightly and almost leveled the scores in the 55th minute, but Myrat Yagsyyev couldn't convert Orazsahedow's lay-off.
South Korea continued to turn the screw and Jung sealed the win with a free-kick in the 80th minute.
South Korea, who are seeking a tenth consecutive FIFA World Cup appearance, will host Sri Lanka on October 10, while Turkmenistan have a trip to Lebanon on the same day.
- 体坛英语新闻：UAE beats Malaysia 2-1 in FIFA World Cup Asian qualifiers
- 体坛英语新闻：Argentina & Spain into semi-finals, Serbia and Poland's fairy tales end
- 体坛英语新闻：Ronaldo scores four as Portugal crush Lithuania 5-1
- 体坛英语新闻：Japan beat Myanmar 2-0 in 2022 World Cup qualifier
- 体坛英语新闻：China overcome Maldives 5-0 in World Cup Asian qualifiers