BEIJING, July 22 (Xinhua) -- China's Ministry of Emergency Management (MEE) on Sunday called for better efforts to mitigate disasters and reduce casualties in the flood season.
MEE's Vice Minister Huang Ming said at a meeting that late July and early August is a "critical stage" for fighting floods and providing relief.
Since July, rainstorms have hit many regions, triggering floods along the Yangtze and Yellow rivers and their tributaries.
Compared with the same period last year, 27 percent more houses collapsed and the number of people relocated nearly doubled, though the number of casualties and missing people dropped by 41 percent, Huang said.
He said western and northern China should stay on high alert and make full preparations to prevent heavy fatalities.
"Evacuations should be carried out as early as possible," he said.
Over 387,000 people were evacuated in east China's Shanghai, Jiangsu and Zhejiang before typhoon Ampil made landfall in Shanghai Sunday noon, the State Flood Control and Drought Relief Headquarters said.
- 英语文摘:Xi, Putin to witness opening of nuclear energy cooperation project via video link
- 英语文摘:China hits 400 mln vaccine doses following recent COVID-19 outbreaks
- 英语文摘:China, Italy pledge to deepen bilateral ties, advance China-EU cooperation
- 英语文摘:Chinese vice premier urges efforts to facilitate college graduate employment
- 英语文摘:Xiplomacy: Xi's civilization view offers insight into today's world