BEIJING, Aug. 12 (Xinhua) -- Authorities are planning to build 20 underground flood pools in downtown Beijing to improve the Chinese capital's flood-control capacity after a devastating rainstorm killed 79 people last month.
The flood pools will be built near low-lying traffic passages that are most vulnerable to flash floods. Many of the existing passages are dilapidated and because of their location are frequently inundated in the rainy season, officials with Beijing's water supply bureau said Sunday.
The pools are expected to be completed before summer next year. The main concern will be avoiding underground pipes, subway lines and building foundations while building the pools, officials said.
Beijing was battered by the heaviest rain in six decades on July 21. The government put the death toll at 79 in its latest tally.
- 英语文摘:Xi, Putin to witness opening of nuclear energy cooperation project via video link
- 英语文摘:China hits 400 mln vaccine doses following recent COVID-19 outbreaks
- 英语文摘:China, Italy pledge to deepen bilateral ties, advance China-EU cooperation
- 英语文摘:Chinese vice premier urges efforts to facilitate college graduate employment
- 英语文摘:Xiplomacy: Xi's civilization view offers insight into today's world