Mary Ciammetti lost her college-age son 20-year-old Christian Ciammetti from alcohol poisoning in 2015. My son died in the hospital when we found out that he had been binge drinking and he died from alcohol poisoning, from the effects of alcohol poisoning. I was home from work and then I was literally grieving and laying on a couch and I couldn’t do anything. Each year in the U.S. more than 1,800 college students between the ages of 18 and 24 die from alcohol-related injuries including motor vehicle crashes, the National Survey on Drug Use and Health reports. Despite the potential risks taking the edge off stress is why some students say they drink. Definitely for students at least nowadays a lot of it is stress, students like to work hard, play hard mentality. And they after a long week of classes and overachieving, they want to head to the bar, head to the club, head to their friends house and drink. But experts disagree that drinking relieves stress. So there is a misperception a lot of students will say that they drink to relieve stress. But in fact the studies and literature show that when students are drinking it actually increases stress in their lives.
Mitchell urges for stricter alcohol policies at colleges. We encourage colleges to adopt policies that reduce the access to alcohol that send the message to students that alcohol and excessive alcohol use are not a normal part of your college experience. Ciammetti who now runs a non-profit to educate young people about the harms of binge drinking admits that as a parent she should have been more vigilant of her son’s activities. What I do believe is that as a parent now when if anybody asks me I say go into their rooms, go into their college dorms and go see what is there. Now looking back I would do anything I could to get Christian back. And it’s too late. But not too late for other parents to prevent the same thing that happened to Christian from happening to their child.
1/2 1 2 下一页 尾页